Senior Spotlight: Megan Morris Posted on April 8th, 2021 by

The “Senior Spotlight” series honors graduating fine arts majors for their contributions to the Gustavus community.

Megan Morris is a theatre major with an emphasis in Costume Technology and Design from Sauk Rapids, Minn. She also has minors in Studio Art and Arts Administration. Continuing Assistant Professor of Theatre and Dance Larissa McConnell has worked with Megan in the costume shop throughout her years at Gustavus. “Megan has been a bright spot to my days–sharing happiness and her spunkiness. I have high hopes for her future and know that she will bring her light with her wherever she goes,” McConnell says. 

We asked Megan to give us a little insight into her time at Gustavus and what her future plans are.

What will you miss most about theatre at Gustavus?

MM: I’ll miss the feeling I get when I walk into the costume shop. It’s a place that has become so familiar to me; it feels like a second home. I know where all of the tools are, what machine does the best basting stitch, and the story behind every garment on the Wall of Shame. Very few places on campus make me feel as close to myself as the costume shop does.

What’s a favorite memory you have from your time in theatre at Gustavus?

MM: After researching thousands of sneakers, finally reaching the day when Henry MacCarthy picked the perfect pair of shoes for Sam Burnham to wear for Title and Deed.

What’s one piece of advice you’d give high school students considering Gustavus?

MM: There are so many things and interests to explore at Gustavus that aren’t necessarily listed on the Majors/Minors catalogue. If you have an interest in researching or learning about a specific topic, ask your advisor about it. I’ve found that most professors are very excited to build a major or minor around your interests, so the best thing you can do for yourself is ask.

What has been your proudest moment in your time at Gustavus?

MM: The day I got my first job in the industry. I remember the hours I spent creating and revising my resume, writing cover letters, and emailing well over 15 companies with employment interest. When I finally got the email from Ohio Light Opera of their offer to hire me for the 2019 summer season, I started crying because all of my hard work had finally paid off.

What professor has made the biggest impact on you and why?

MM: Easy, Larissa McConnell. Without her guidance and instruction, I never would have found the love and respect I have for costuming. She is one of the most hardworking individuals I have ever met. Since being on campus, I have seen her juggle well over 15 costumed productions/programs, have two full galleries dedicated to her artwork, advise over 10 majors and 40 different costume shop employees, and write and publish an entire book. She is, without a doubt, one of my biggest inspirations.