Senior Spotlight: Darby Hurlbert Posted on May 20th, 2021 by

The “Senior Spotlight” series honors graduating fine arts majors for their contributions to the Gustavus community.

Darby Hurlbert is a Studio Arts and Art History double major with a philosophy minor from California. She plans to take some time for herself post-graduation and work on her relationship with her art. Associate Professor of Art Kristen Lowe says, “Darby has been a wonderful student to work with. She’s always curious and upbeat about her learning experiences. She gives her peers undivided attention during critiques. Darby is always respectful of other points of view. She has a lovely sense of humor and it sometimes makes appearances in her work, too!

We asked Darby to give us a little insight into her time at Gustavus and what her future plans are.

What will you miss most about art at Gustavus?

DH: Being in the studio with my studio friends

What’s one piece of advice you’d give high school students considering Gustavus?

DH: Make sure you’re true to yourself and pick an area of study that makes you happy. Also take classes that sound interesting for fun you never know what you will get out of it!

What has been your proudest moment in your time at Gustavus?

DH: Becoming the cheerleading coach. It was tough but I am so proud that I can share my passion for cheer with others

What do you look forward to most about life after Gustavus?

DH: Hopefully continuing as the cheerleading coach and making Minnesota my new home!

What professor has made the biggest impact on you and why?

DH: Marsha Olsen. Marsha was my advisor for 2 1/2 years and she really took the time to get to know me. She helped me when I was struggling with classes and applications. She also was willing to listen when I was overwhelmed. She is the professor who encouraged me to pursue art history and made those classes some of the best classes I have taken. There are many professors who have had a huge impact on me; I wish I could list them all.