Senior Spotlight: Amber Lange Posted on April 23rd, 2020 by

The “Senior Spotlight” series honors graduating fine arts majors for their contributions to the Gustavus community.

Amber Lange is a dance and management major with an arts administration minor from Somerset, Wis. Following graduation Amber will be working as a dance instructor at Just for Kix-White Bear and Hudson Dance Academy.  Visiting Assistant Professor of Dance Sarah Hauss says Amber’s intellect, caring nature, and ambition are characteristics she appreciates most about her. “I have loved watching her soak in and synthesize information in different ways: as a dancer and choreographer, and as an engaged learner through class discussion and writing,” Hauss says. “Her love for dance and the process of making it is evident in every moment.”

We asked Amber to give us a little insight into her Gustavus experience and continuing to dance while living off-campus.

What’s one piece of advice you’d give to high school students considering Gustavus?
Gustavus is a place where you are really allowed to explore who you are as a creator, but you have to be willing to put in the work. The professors will help you find and develop your artistic voice and we have many opportunities to show it, but it is ultimately up to you to decide how much you are going to get out of the experiences that are offered to you. We have a wonderfully supportive community that wants to see you succeed and will push you to constantly be bettering yourself as an artist.

What is a favorite memory of dance at Gustavus?
My favorite memory is my first ACDA [American College Dance Association Conference] my sophomore year with the Gustavus Dance Company in Madison, Wis. We spent our time taking classes from many different professors in our conference, watching tons of amazing dance, and exploring Madison in our free time (which was very limited, but we made the most of it).

What professor has made the biggest impact on you and why?
Sarah Hauss has made the biggest impact on me. She gave me the opportunity to be the understudy for her spring concert piece my freshman year and I quickly became her rehearsal assistant. She helped me realize how much I love the rehearsal process and why teaching dance is so important to me. I have learned so much about myself as a dancer, choreographer, and teacher from her, and I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to work so closely with her these last four years.

What has it been like to continue your dance education at home?
I miss our studio spaces, our professors, and my friends! I’m challenging myself to find new places to dance and get moving but I miss Kresge [Dance Studio].

What do you look forward to most about life after Gustavus?
I look forward to having the opportunity to keep dancing while sharing my passion and excitement for dance with my students.