Senior Spotlight: Jonathan Listul Posted on June 17th, 2022 by

Jonathan Listul is an Instrumental Music Education and Honors in Trumpet Performance major from Jamestown, North Dakota. He performed with the Gustavus Wind Orchestra, the Gustavus Jazz, the Gustavus Symphony Orchestra, the Christ Chapel Ringers, and jazz combos. Professor Jonathan Brandt says “Jonathan has always been very curious and inquisitive about music, and as a result, we’ve been able to have meaningful conversations over the past four years that helped shape him into the musician he is today. I look forward to seeing what the future holds for him.”

We asked Jon about his time at Gustavus and his goals for the future.

What are your plans for the future?
JL: “I plan to student teach in the fall in the Twin Cities and then pursue graduate school for conducting.”

What will you miss most about music at Gustavus?
JL: “I will miss playing wonderful music with my friends! The music community here at GAC brings out the best musicianship. Playing on multiple tours and CinCCs have fed my love for music and have changed my life.”

What’s a favorite memory you have from studying music at Gustavus?
JL: “There are so many fond memories from studying music at GAC that it is hard to only choose one! I think my favorite memory would have to be from my freshman GWO tour. It was our last stop on our domestic tour and it was performed in a beautiful chapel. The weather was overcast and cloudy. When we got to our last piece of the program, Frozen Cathedral by John Makey, the Sun shined through as we resolved one of our final chords. This was such a unique experience to witness and will stay with me forever.”

How have you grown in your time at Gustavus?
JL: “I have grown immensely through my time at Gustavus. Not only through studying music, but through other organizations as well. I definitely have learned how to balance commitments and how to become a leader. Gustavus has pushed me to find the best version of myself and give me glimpses of what I can accomplish! I have grown to find a deep appreciation in the communities that I am a part of, such as Greeters and the music ensembles.”

What do you look forward to most about life after Gustavus?
JL: “I look forward to seeing my peers accomplish their goals and thrive in the outside world! I also can’t wait to come back and listen to music ensembles that I once was a part of.”

What’s one piece of advice you’d give high school students considering Gustavus?
JL: “My advice for students that are considering is to continue your musical passions! Even if you are not a music major/minor, there are so many opportunities for you to find a music ensemble and thrive in it! Music can offer some of the most impactful experiences and the GAC music professors continually support each individual.”