Gustavus Senior Marta Sikora Makes Big Impact in MN Orchestra Internship Posted on November 29th, 2023 by

Marta Sikora, a senior studying business management and music, completed a marketing internship with the Minnesota Orchestra over the summer. During this internship, Marta had the opportunity to publish a program note in Showcase—Minnesota Orchestra’s concert program brochure.

Marta wrote her program note about Sir James McMillan’s Trombone Concerto, performed by Jörgen van Rijen for the Minnesota Orchestra’s “Shostakovich Symphony No. 5” concert.

“McMillan wrote the Trombone Concerto in memory of his granddaughter, Sara Maria McMillan, who passed away at only five years old,” says Marta. “McMillan describes his Trombone Concerto as having a ‘ghostly theme’, grief transformed into a celebration of Sara’s life.”

Marta completed her program note and other projects under the supervision of Carl Schroeder, the Minnesota Orchestra’s publications editor.

“Working with Carl in the communications department was very rewarding!” says Marta. “My writing skills greatly improved, I made countless connections, and I learned how the MN Orchestra does outreach and connects with the world. My experience there was invaluable!”

One of those connections was with Michelle Miller Burns, president of the Minnesota Orchestra.

“My meeting with [Burns] was so inspiring!” says Marta. “She asked me about my aspirations, and I asked her about her journey and how to be a woman of authority and the face of an organization. It was very productive, and she even asked me to set up another meeting. She says she sees herself in me!”

Gustavus provided Marta with the network she needed to land her internship at the Minnesota Orchestra and make such an important connection. Dr. James Patrick Miller—the Gustavus Wind Orchestra conductor—played a key role in the process.

“I’m super grateful that JPM [Professor Miller] thought of me for this opportunity and that he basically asked Carl to take a chance on me as a favor,” Marta says. “If I didn’t decide to go to Gustavus, I wouldn’t have joined their wind orchestra and connected with JPM; my opportunity with the Minnesota Orchestra wouldn’t have happened.”

After Gustavus, Marta wants to pursue a career in professional orchestra.

“My time at Gustavus helped me improve my time management skills because I had to balance being a student and a musician in multiple ensembles. Those skills were super important to my internship,” says Marta. “My dream career in professional orchestra feels much more possible after Gustavus helped connect me with the Minnesota Orchestra. I don’t have to wonder if its a passion I don’t think I’d be good at. I got to do it. Its almost like taking a leap of faith and seeing if you could do it, and I’m proud I could do it.”

To see Marta’s program note, click here