Senior Spotlight: Anna-Olivia Machado Posted on May 23rd, 2022 by

Anna-Olivia Machado is a Studio Art and Biology double major from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In the future, she plans to move to the Twin Cities area to be a part of their studio arts scene. Professor Kristen Lowe describes Machado as “a student who has really wrestled with the question of what Art is capable of doing in society. She considers every facet of the process of making to have a kind of potential, an impact, that goes far beyond anything resembling simply entertainment.”

We asked Anna-Olivia about her time at Gustavus and her goals for the future.

What will you miss most about art at Gustavus?
AM: “I will miss the professors and the general community in the art building.”

What do you look forward to most about life after Gustavus?
AM: “I look forward to being able to explore interests and opportunities that I don’t have time for during the regular school semesters.”

What’s one piece of advice you’d give high school students considering Gustavus?
AM: “If you are an out of state student, make sure you are considering how the students are actually being assisted by the school. Talk to students, and ask them questions!”

What is the most interesting class you’ve taken at Gustavus and why?
AM: “The most interesting class I have taken was my Junior Art seminar. In that class we discussed the technical aspects of what it means to be a working artist. We were able to explore our own interests in our artwork as well as build up our brand as artists.”

What professor has made the biggest impact on you and why?
AM: “All the fine arts professors have had a general impact on me as a student, but Kristen Lowe has been my professor for most of my classes that I have taken within my major. She has encouraged me to follow some of my own instincts and interests and is constantly pushing me to make good work!”