Senior Spotlight: Paige Reiners Posted on May 4th, 2020 by

The “Senior Spotlight” series honors graduating fine arts majors for their contributions to the Gustavus community.

Paige Reiners is a chemistry and music major from Stillwater, Minn. In the fall, she will be attending the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry for their DDS program. Professor of Piano Dr. Yumiko Oshima-Ryan says, “Having a student like Paige is every teacher’s dream. She is always trying her best and loves to be challenged, but most of all, she has a great ability to “listen” for new ideas and trust herself to soar to higher places. This is a very special gift that comes from her strong faith about herself.”

We asked Paige to give us a little insight into her time at Gustavus and how she’s “staying musical” while living at home.

What do you look forward to most about life after Gustavus?
PR: I am very excited to start pursuing a career in dentistry, but I am also excited to stay connected to Gustavus! These four years have shaped me to become the best person (and musician!) I can be, and I can’t wait to show the world what it means to be a Gustie!

What’s a favorite memory you have from your time in music here?
PR: One of my favorite memories from my time in music at Gustavus has been the European tour with the Gustavus Choir in January 2019. This trip was crazy fun! It was amazing to hear the sound of our choir in many cathedrals and spaces in the various countries we traveled to. Never again will I have the opportunity to travel abroad with 60 other people who share the same passion for music with me, so I am very thankful for every aspect of our time in Europe.

What’s one piece of advice you’d give to high school students considering Gustavus?
PR: Take advantage of every opportunity Gustavus offers you! In the music department especially, you can become involved in many areas of music and collaboration if you search for it. Personally, I was interested in traveling abroad early in my years at Gustavus, so I participated in the International Music Festival of the Adriatic in Duino, Italy during the summer of my first year. This experience was amazing and it helped me discover a passion in chamber music that I could bring back to Gustavus.

How are you continuing your music in your new surroundings?
PR: I am continuing music in my new surroundings by practicing piano, receiving and teaching Skype piano lessons, practicing my conducting skills for my choral conducting course, and listening to a lot of music in general. I also have recorded music for my church to use and music for vocal students to practice with!

What professor has made the biggest impact on you and why?
PR: Many of the professors at Gustavus have made an impact on me in multiple ways – through music theory, choir, and accompanying! I am thankful for every professor that has guided and encouraged me throughout these four years! However, Dr. Yumiko Oshima-Ryan has made the largest impact on me. From the first day I met her on scholarship day, I knew she would mold me into a great pianist. She has challenged me to make the most of every musical opportunity I have been given, to think critically about the music I am studying, and to become a passionate musician, friend, and animal-lover. She has been a huge role model for me and I am so thankful to have had her as an instructor!

1. Susan Eddy says:

I am so thankful you had the opportunity to have your senior Piano recital before all the lockdowns. It was such a wonderful day to hear how talented you are on the piano!
    I also enjoyed hearing the Gustavus Choir at Mt. Olivet Lutheran Church this winter.
    You will continue to touch many lives with your talents and zest for life!

2. Kitty Reiners says:

From the day we sat down to listen to our granddaughter, Paige, play Beautiful Savior for us, we knew there was an unmatched talent in those little fingers. Since then we have supported her, and couldn’t have been more proud as we attended her Senior piano recital at GAC. So happy she had all the opportunities to show others her great talent.

3. Karen A. Stadler says:

I am the Kannas Grandma Karen. I have so enjoyed you moving along through Salem with my grandkids. You have accomplished great things with many more accomplishments to come. May God continue to richly blessed you.

4. Scott and Carla Passon says:

Paige, you are so incredibly talented. Thank you for sharing your gifts. We are very proud of you and know you have a beautiful future in store for you. God is good. Love, Carla and Scott