Senior Spotlight: Claire Strohmeyer Posted on May 12th, 2021 by

The “Senior Spotlight” series honors graduating fine arts majors for their contributions to the Gustavus community.

Claire Strohmeyer is a Studio Art major with a Gender, Women, & Sexuality Studies minor from Shakopee, Minn. Associate Professor and Chair of Art and Art History Betsy Byers says, “I have seen Claire grow in confidence and increasing ability in her work. Claire has become a deeply self-reflective artist and has the ability to turn the eye inward which shows in her work. She is now brave, confident and able to speak thoughtfully about her work,” she says. 

We asked Claire to give us a little insight into her time at Gustavus and what her future plans are.

What’s a favorite memory you have from studying art at Gustavus?

CS: I felt so proud after finishing one of the most time-consuming pieces I have ever done. I spent hours drawing small dots, but I loved the final product.

How have you grown in your time at Gustavus?

CS: At Gustavus I became more sure of myself, through my art and my experience as a Gustie.

What’s one piece of advice you’d give high school students considering Gustavus?

CS: Pick a school based on what community you want to be a part of, majors can always change.

What is the most interesting class you’ve taken at Gustavus and why?

CS: A special topics art history course called The Feminine Grotesque. It was about how the portrayal of cannibalism was used during colonialism and in contemporary art.

What professor has made the biggest impact on you and why?

CS: Betsy Byers was one of the reasons I became an art major. She has helped make me feel like an artist.