Senior Spotlight: Gretchen Van Ess Posted on June 3rd, 2022 by

Gretchen Van Ess is a Studio Art and Psychology double major from Minneapolis, Minnesota. In the future she wants to have a PhD in Clinical Psychology and develop a private practice. Professor Lowe describes Gretchan as “an example of what we sometimes see with the double majors. She really engages in the artistic formalities of her work but also in thinking deeply about interdisciplinary of her two majors. Both of her majors inform her in a multitude of ways that play out in the manifestation of very poetic artwork that has an abundance of content.”

We asked Gretchen about her time at Gustavus and her plans for the future.

What will you miss most about art at Gustavus?
GVE: “The ability to explore!”

What’s a favorite memory you have from studying art at Gustavus?
GVE: “Spending time in the Senior Studio.”

How have you grown in your time Gustavus?
GVE: “So much! I have grown more sure of who I am, what I want, and how I am needed.”

What do you look forward to most about life after Gustavus?
GVE: “To do what has always been a dream.”

What’s one piece of advice you’d give high school students considering Gustavus?
GVE: “Trust your gut, know you are stronger than you think and do not be afraid to say ‘no.’”

What has been your proudest moment in your time at Gustavus?
GVE: “Developing meaningful relationships that have continued into my senior year, and will last a lifetime.”

What is the most interesting class you’ve taken at Gustavus and why?
GVE: “By far, forensic psychology. This course is rarely offered and has taught me a lot about the way we treat our citizens.”