Orientation to Graduation: The Spirit of CommunityGustavus Adolphus College student Elise Gahart ‘25, a Sociology/Anthropology and Dance double major, reflects on her time as she prepares to graduate.
Posted on October 9th, 2024 by

Gustavus Adolphus College student Elise Gahart ‘25, a Sociology/Anthropology and Dance double major, reflects on her time as she prepares to graduate. 

Gahart ‘25 notes that her last semester “feels very bittersweet. I have been trying to soak up all of my last opportunities for dance.” This year, Gahart ‘25 is dancing in the Nobel Conference, Christmas in Christ Chapel, the Winter Dance Concert, and has the opportunity to go to the American Collegiate Dance Association’s North Central Conference.

The dance department at Gustavus Adolphus College is known for the spirit that it has cultivated, with Gahart ‘25 noting “I feel like there is a strong sense of community at Gustavus, especially within the Fine Arts programs. The dance program is very tight knit.”

“I got more than I ever expected from the dance program here,” continued Gahart ‘25. “I was just intending on being a dance minor, but my ballet professor Sue Gunness really pushed me to be a dance major.”

On top of being involved in the dance sphere, Gahart ‘25 has also spent her last two years as a Gustie Greeter, a group of students who help guide freshmen through orientation. 

Reflecting on her favorite memories, Gahart ‘25 mentioned “one of the traditions [Gustavus does] is a big square dance during orientation. I think it is super fun because I love dancing and it is also a great opportunity to meet so many people and start to form that sense of community.”

The community at Gustavus Adolphus College is one that truly stands out above the rest: whether it be in the Fine Arts or in your orientation group, there is a spot for everyone on this campus.