The annual community celebration called Family Weekend at Gustavus Adolphus College, October 11-13, has a little bit of everything for family, alumni and friends, including attendance at movies, workshops and panels, participation in trivia and treasure hunts, athletic events and a murder/mystery dinner. However, the tradition of Family Weekend at Gustavus would not be complete without a Sunday of non-stop music featuring ten of the College’s music ensembles. Two special events have been added to the schedule this year: the Gustavus Artist Series presentation of internationally-renowned classical guitarist Robert Gruca on Friday, October 11 at 7:30 p.m., and a Department of Music faculty recital by saxophonist John Engebretson on Saturday, October 12 at 3:30 p.m. in Jussi Björling Recital Hall.
The schedule of music performances for this very busy weekend are:
- Classical Guitarist Robert Gruca, Friday, October 11, 7:30 p.m., Bjorling Recital Hall (tickets available at the door)
- Faculty Recital by saxophonist John Engebretson, with pianist Esther Wang and clarinetist Karrin Meffert-Nelson, Saturday, October 12 at 3:30 p.m. in Bjorling Recital Hall (tickets not required)
- The Choir of Christ Chapel, the Christ Chapel Brass and the Chapel Ringers at Morning Worship, Sunday, October 13 at 10:00 a.m.
- The Gustavus Jazz Lab Band and the Adolphus Jazz Ensemble at the annual Jazz Brunch, Sunday, October 13, at 11:00 a.m. in the Evelyn Young Dining Room
- The Gustavus Choir, Gustavus & Vasa Wind Orchestras, the Gustavus Symphony Orchestra and the Lucia Singers at the annual Family Weekend Showcase Concert in Christ Chapel at 2:00 p.m.
Tickets for the Gustavus Artist Series presentation of Robert Gruca on Friday, October 11 at 7:30 p.m. are available in advance online at gustavustickets.com or by calling the Campus Activities Center at 507-933-7590 or at the door one hour prior to the concert.
John Engebertson’s faculty recital on Saturday and all performances on Sunday are free and open to the public. The dining service is open for the ala carte brunch during the jazz performances.