Senior Spotlight: Amelia Untiedt Posted on May 20th, 2020 by

The “Senior Spotlight” series honors graduating fine arts majors for their contributions to the Gustavus community.

Amelia Untiedt is a dance and sociology/anthropology major from Stillwater, Minn. She plans on finding a job after graduation. Associate Professor of Dance Melissa Rolnick had the opportunity to instruct Amelia throughout her four years at Gustavus. “Amelia burst forth in her confidence during her second year,” Melissa says. “She developed strength as a performer and choreographer, revealing her idiosyncratic style and artistry. Amelia will continue to excel because she is driven by intense curiosity, intelligence and perseverance.”

We asked Amelia to give us a little insight into her time at Gustavus and how she’s continuing  to dance while living at home.

How are you continuing your dance education in your new surroundings?
AU: I have been taking some online classes, watching concerts, and taking advantage of the other recently free resources, but nothing is like taking a class in person.

What’s a favorite memory you have from your time in dance here?
AU: I love Final Friday. It is so fun to see the Modern I students perform, maybe for their first time ever. I love how encouraging and supportive everyone is. It is a great way to celebrate the semester. It is fantastic to see all the people who show up to watch the performances because it invites all sorts of people, not just dance and theater people, to take part in the event. I enjoy creating a short piece and performing it just for the fun of it.

What’s one piece of advice you’d give to high school students considering Gustavus?
AU: Since Gustavus is a liberal arts college, take advantage of that and explore as many different areas and disciplines as you like. My path through college was very twisted and convoluted, and I don’t think I would have been able to do that if I wasn’t at a school like Gustavus. Join clubs. Attend events. Take a class that you would have never considered before college, like, oh, I don’t know, a dance class.

What has it been like to dance and perform at home?
AU: The kitchen is one of the only places in our house with hardwood floors, but a long time ago my mother declared them a dance-free zone. The rest of my house is mostly carpet which isn’t a great surface for dancing, especially turns. So I wait until no one is around and enjoy as much dancing in the kitchen as possible.

What professor has made the biggest impact on you and why?
AU: Melissa Rolnick has probably been one of the most impactful professors for me. She was my first experience with modern dance and really pushed me to get out of my comfort zone and explore the discipline. She has also helped me to develop my choreographic skills and become more confident in myself. Her composition classes have become the foundation of my choreography.