Senior Spotlight: Jonathan Hickox-Young Posted on May 22nd, 2020 by

The “Senior Spotlight” series honors graduating fine arts majors for their contributions to the Gustavus community.

Jonathan Hickox-Young is a music major from Reno, Nevada. His future plans include attending the University of Minnesota to complete a master’s degree in percussion performance. His percussion instructor at Gustavus, Dr. Adam Rappel, says that he can’t wait to see where Jonathan goes from here. “Jonathan is one of those students that makes me, as a teacher, want to keep practicing to keep up,” Rappel says. “He has developed his ability to motivate himself so well during our four years together.”

We asked Jonathan to give us a little insight into his time at Gustavus and how he’s “staying musical” while living at home.

What do you look forward to most about life after Gustavus? 
JH: I think it’s more general than anything specific, I am immensely excited to be in Minneapolis which is such a beautiful city and place to be and to be a musician in!

What will you miss most about music at Gustavus? 
JH: The percussion studio, hand down. I spent an immense number of hours there, and loved every minute of it. 

What’s a favorite memory you have from studying music at Gustavus? 
JH: The Malaysia tour – so much fun and so much great music! Traveling with the jazz band was truly a treat that I would cherish to have again. 

What has it been like to continue music at home? 
JH: It’s a lot less fun to practice without getting to play with the people you care about. 

Which professor has made the biggest impact on you and why? 
JH: I think it would be a tie between Dr. Stamps and Dr. Rappel, both have been encouraging, kind, and have helped me grow my musicianship to new heights.

1. Knute Knudson and Pennie says:

Wonderful photos of a wonderful guy. Following this career develop has been and will continue to be exciting. Congrats Jonathan.