Senior Spotlight: Martha Scherschligt Posted on April 26th, 2021 by

The “Senior Spotlight” series honors graduating fine arts majors for their contributions to the Gustavus community.

Martha Scherschligt is a theatre major from Plymouth, Minn. She plans to continue nannying post-graduation until she finds a theatre-related job. Professor of Theatre Amy Seham has directed Martha in multiple productions, most recently in the upcoming spring production Three Sisters. “I’ve enjoyed working with Martha in class and on the stage. Her inventive comic characters delighted audiences in Cabaret and Measure for Measure, and she lights up the stage in the Line-us Improv troupe. But I’m especially pleased that Martha’s powerful dramatic acting will be showcased in our video production of Three Sisters, to be released in May. Her intelligent, passionate, and nuanced performance makes me proud of all our work together,” she says. 

We asked Martha to give us a little insight into her time at Gustavus.

What will you miss most about theatre at Gustavus?

MS: The community of people! Theatre people know how to make me laugh.

What’s a favorite memory you have from your time in theatre at Gustavus?

MS: Everyone was so welcoming during my first show, Cabaret. The students all made me feel like I belonged, and that is why I wanted to continue Gustavus Theatre.

What has been your proudest moment in your time at Gustavus?

MS: In the Spring of 2020, we all pulled together and were able to actually make Mother Courage happen. I was so proud of the way the directing class stepped up, and how everyone was so flexible and eager to create something.

What is the most interesting class you’ve taken at Gustavus and why?

MS: Foundations of Western Theatre. I got to learn about so many aspects to early theatre that I had no clue about. It was a really great way to learn about how theatre has developed over time.

What professor has made the biggest impact on you and why?

MS: Amy Seham. She has seen my potential even when I didn’t, and always pushed me to be my best.