Senior Spotlight: Matt Guilette Posted on May 21st, 2021 by

The “Senior Spotlight” series honors graduating fine arts majors for their contributions to the Gustavus community.

Matt Guilette is a Music major with a Political Science minor from Appleton, Wis. He plans to work around his hometown before considering grad school. Associate professor of Music Dave Stamps says, “Matt is exceptionally talented and works very hard to continually learn new repertoire and improvisation techniques. His constant curiosity is going to take him very far!

We asked Matt to give us a little insight into his time at Gustavus and what his future plans are.

What will you miss most about music at Gustavus?

MG: Getting to play expressive and emotive pieces regularly.

What’s a favorite memory you have from studying music at Gustavus?

MG: The entirety of the GWO tour to Sweden/Norway.

What do you look forward to most about life after Gustavus?

MG: Continuing to spread enjoyment through music however and to whomever I can.

What’s one piece of advice you’d give high school students considering Gustavus?

MG: Make sure to keep an open mind to yourself, and be patient. Accept what you want to do and give yourself the credit!

How have you grown in your time at Gustavus?

MG: During my time at Gustavus I’ve learned to trust myself when it comes to the future. I’ve learned that I can be successful in those things that I put my all into, and Gustavus has been the open and encouraging environment that allows me to do so. I’ve learned that some hard things are indeed worth doing, but only if you’re sure of it. If you’re on the fence about something, there’s a reason for that. I’ve grown into someone who spends less time wondering ‘if’ and ‘whether’ I could do something and spends more time doing those things and feeling great about it.