Alum Composition “Carry the Light” premieres at Relay For Life Posted on April 21st, 2022 by

On Friday, April 22, the annual fundraiser for the American Cancer Society will features “Carry the Light”, a choral composition written by Henri Santelman ‘21. The song will be performed by the all-male a cappella group GSharp!.

“These lyrics were inspired by and edited by my friend Regan Stacey, who is a two time breast cancer survivor, an artist, an environmentalist, and an incredible human being,” says Santelman. “We talked about having a piece that is both hopeful and uplifting while also being comforting to those experiencing loss or grief. We landed on a focus on light and its eternal quality.”

Santelman is currently working with the Lutheran Campus Ministry at Yale University, where he is starting a master’s of divinity next fall.

“The vibrance of the community of Gustavus students, faculty, and staff continues to affect my life after graduating”, reflects Santelman. “My time spent at Gustavuswas very formative, and some of my fondest memories are those of music at Gustavus, specifically with GSharp! Not only did I get to hone my compositional and arranging skills through writing for GSharp, but I found some of my best friends in this group.”

“This is the first time we have commissioned a piece and we couldn’t think of a better reason to do so”, says Alex Blegen, a member of G-Sharp. “Creating something incredibly special for Relay For Life with the help of Henri Santelman has truly been a gift that we cannot wait to share.”

Relay For Life is an annual student-organized fundraiser for the American Cancer Society.  Throughout the event, there are numerous activities and performances from groups across the campus, cancer survivor speaker, remembrance ceremony and prizes.

“Carry the Light” will be performed on April 22 at 9:00 p.m., during the candlelight vigil. The ensemble will also perform the piece on May 11 and May 12.

1. Corliss stark says:

Wow ! Henri never ceases to amaze. Congratulations.