Senior Spotlight: Jennifer Goulding Posted on June 10th, 2022 by

Jennifer Golding is an Instrumental Music Education major from Vadnais Heights, Minnesota. She performed with the Gustavus Wind Orchestra, the Gustavus Symphony Orchestra, and the Gustavus Flute Choir. Professor Heidi Miller says “Jenny has absolutely blossomed as a musician and a human in the time I have known Jenny at Gustavus. It has been thrilling in this past year to see Jenny really come into themselves, to be vulnerable and let the music through! I will miss Jenny’s openness, musicality, and thirst for knowledge after graduation, but know that wherever they end up teaching will be so lucky to have Jenny.”

We asked Jennifer about their time at Gustavus and their goals for the future.

What are your plans for the future?
JG: “I am planning to teach middle school band.”

What will you miss most about music at Gustavus?
JG: “The flute section.”

What’s a favorite memory you have from studying music at Gustavus?
JG: “Going on tours!”

How have you grown in your time at Gustavus?
JG: “I have grown to appreciate music in a way that is not just centered around trying to be the best. It is about who you make music with.”

What do you look forward to most about life after Gustavus?
JG: “I look forward to teaching students the same values that I learned here at Gustavus.”

What’s one piece of advice you’d give high school students considering Gustavus?
JG: “Know what you want. Don’t waste your time wishing you could do things here. Just go for it.”

What has been your proudest moment in your time at Gustavus?
JG: “Starting the flute choir.”

What is the most interesting class you’ve taken at Gustavus and why?
JG: “Instrumental conducting. It was interesting learning how to conduct and that class made me fall in love with it.”