The Power of Community: How Fine Arts Brought Anna and Kieran Together Posted on September 23rd, 2024 by

The Gustavus Adolphus College Fine Arts department is known for its abilities – whether it be dance, theater, choir, or any of the others offered, to be a part of them is to be a part of something great. There is a sense of community that can be found within the walls of Bjorling, with students Anna Swanson ‘25 and Kieran Connolly speaking to their experiences. Anna Swanson ‘25 is a senior theater major with dance and music minors from Carlsbad, New Mexico, and Kieran Connolly ‘26 is a junior dance and psychological science double major from Shoreview, Minnesota. The two came to know each other through their work on the theater production Spring Awakening, put on in the spring of 2023.

Reflecting on their time in the production, Connolly ‘26 fondly recalled “my freshman year, we were doing Spring Awakening rehearsals all day every day. As a cast, we went out to Patty’s [a local restaurant/pub] for trivia night, and who was there but our director and choreographer.” Swanson ‘25 remembered “they ended up winning but the cast did so bad! The only category we did okay in was musical theater.” “Even that was embarrassing!” said Connolly ‘26.

To reach a point where they were able to make such fun memories together, first the two had to find their way to Gustavus Adolphus College.

“Being from New Mexico, a lot of people wonder how I ended up in small town Minnesota, but my dad grew up in Mankato, so Gustavus was the first school that I toured. I got my acceptance from Gustavus and I knew I was going to go here” said Swanson ‘25. “My mom went to Gustavus, so when people asked me where I wanted to go to college, I started saying Gustavus,” said Connolly ‘26. “The dance scholarship I got was the biggest push for me to attend.”

Upon arrival at Gustavus, both were pleasantly surprised by the support they found in the community.

“Anna and I both grew up as competitive dancers,” said Connolly ‘26,  “which is a very different world, but coming here I was not expecting the level of community we have here. The goal is to put good work on stage, and I think we do a good job of uplifting each other and being there for each other.” “I feel the exact same,” echoed Swanson ‘25.  “With competitive dancing there was that aspect of competing against someone, making it hard to form close relationships with people. Coming here, everyone is so nice and so welcoming and I love being a part of the community.” Swanson ‘25 has found support not only in the dance department here at Gustavus, but also in the choir. “I started choir when I came here as well. I was contemplating quitting before I came here, and then I went to the first day of choir and I stayed and now I am in the Gustavus choir and I love it.”

Learn more about how you can create memories at Gustavus: https://gustavus.edu/finearts/