Senior Spotlight: Sandesh Sukhram Posted on April 30th, 2021 by

The “Senior Spotlight” series honors graduating fine arts majors for their contributions to the Gustavus community.

Sandesh Sukhram is a History and Theatre double major with a classical languages minor from Bloomington, Minn. Associate Professor of History, Environmental Studies, and Japanese Studies David Obermiller has had Sandesh in several classes throughout their years at Gustavus. “Sandesh stands out as a student because they possess tremendous intellectual curiosity and because of this attribute, they never shied from embracing the many diverse ways of knowing and learning. Sandesh also reflects a Japanese concept/word called “makoto,” which roughly translates into deep sincerity in action and in thought,” Obermiller says. 

We asked Sandesh to give us a little insight into their time at Gustavus and what their future plans are.

What will you miss most about theatre at Gustavus?

SS: The wide variety of performance opportunities; throughout my time here I’ve been in two musicals, one classical play, one modern play, and have devised a show with a professional company, and I’ve assistant directed a show. Those experiences will serve me well going into my future.

How have you grown in your time at Gustavus?

SS: I’ve learned that the future can never be truly prepared for, but I have all the tools and resources now at my disposal to deal with whatever life has decided to throw at me. Throughout my time on the hill I’ve finally accepted that it’s okay to never be certain about the future.

What’s one piece of advice you’d give high school students considering Gustavus?

SS: Choose Gustavus if you are driven to make the most out of the community. There are stories of students at Gustavus doing great things, but there are also many students that just get their degree here (AND THAT IS FINE), but the real power of Gustavus is the freedom to do anything with your extracurricular time.

What do you look forward to most about life after Gustavus?

SS: I’m looking forward to reading books for fun again. I’ve been unable to read for fun because I am so burnt out from reading for class.

What professor has made the biggest impact on you and why?

SS: David Obermiller has made the biggest impact on who I am now, and who I want to become. There are a few reasons for this, but the first and most important is that he is a first generation BIPOC college graduate that is successful in their career. Second he has demonstrated through stories he tells and how he holds himself is that it is okay to not know what the future holds; the trajectory of his life is incredible to hear. Third he reached out to me and let me know that I was doing something right, but also was unafraid to challenge me, criticize me, and push me to my limits. He taught me excellence in a way that I was never taught before. I’ve taken many classes with David and in each one I felt challenged in a different way, and I feel I have taken lessons from those courses that even if I forget the content of the course I won’t forget the work ethic, and the life skills I learned from them. He is a great role model and a great mentor.

1. Sunita Sukhram says:

Wow brilliant indeed ! Way to go my son , god bless 🙏🙏🙏♥️♥️