Senior Spotlight: Emmie Peroutka Posted on June 2nd, 2022 by

Emmie Peroutka  is a Music and Psychological Science major from Bloomington, Minnesota. She performed with the Gustavus Choir and the Flute Choir. Professor Brandon Dean says “Emmie is a caring and compassionate person, uniquely gifted, and intelligent.  She truly lives into the high expectations she sets for herself, and I know she has a bright future ahead!”

We asked Emmie about her time at Gustavus and her goals for the future.

What are your plans for the future?
EP: “I will be taking a gap year, and then applying to graduate schools for Music Therapy.”

What will you miss most about music at Gustavus?
EP: “I am going to miss the faculty I’ve had the opportunity to learn from over the past four years, making music with friends, and performing at Christmas in Christ Chapel. ”

What’s a favorite memory you have from studying music at Gustavus?
EP: “Going on tour with The Gustavus Choir to Europe! Prague was my favorite place we visited!”

How have you grown in your time at Gustavus?
EP: “I’ve definitely become more confident and happy with who I am as an individual. Gustavus has allowed me to take the courses I want, find out where my passions and strengths lie, and make connections with those around me.”

What do you look forward to most about life after Gustavus?
EP: “I am really excited to see where my life takes me, where my friends end up with their careers, and see what it’s like to sit in the audience for Christmas in Christ Chapel instead of performing in it.”

What’s one piece of advice you’d give high school students considering Gustavus?
EP: “Meet with faculty one on one! I knew that I wanted to attend Gustavus after having lunch with Dr. Dean. He truly made it feel like Gustavus is where I belonged.”

What has been your proudest moment in your time at Gustavus?
EP: “Taking a theology class just to fulfill a GEN ED requirement, but surprising myself at how capable I am of being able to think theologically! ”

What is the most interesting class you’ve taken at Gustavus and why?
EP: “Mindfulness Meditation – this was a really fun class and we got to meditate at the beginning of each class period!”