Senior Spotlight: Hannah Saunders Posted on June 8th, 2022 by

Hannah Saunders is a Biology and Dance Honors double major from Lakeville, Minnesota. In the future she wants to continue working in the biology field and potentially attend graduate school. Professor Melissa Rolnick says that “Hannah has been an outstanding student contributing to and serving the dance program in multiple ways. She has proven herself to be a sensitive leader as a skillful and effective teaching assistant and upper-class mentor for younger dancers.”

We asked Hannah a few questions about her time at Gustavus and her experience in the dance department.

What will you miss most about dance at Gustavus?
HS: “I’m definitely going to miss the dance community at Gustavus. I’ve met some of my favorite people through dance and it’s going to be difficult to leave the community behind.”

What’s a favorite memory you have from your time in dance at Gustavus?
HS: “Rehearsals for a piece were observed for a semester by two communication majors, who then wrote a paper about our interactions. It was very fun to see our community from an outsider point of view.”

How have you grown in your time at Gustavus?
HS: “I think I have grown a great deal in my acceptance of myself. I have grown to be less hard on myself and more open to accepting where I am at any moment, rather than always expecting more.”

What’s one piece of advice you’d give high school students considering Gustavus?
HS: “Find a good group of friends who will do fun and silly activities with you.”

What has been your proudest moment in your time at Gustavus?
HS: “For two years, the piece that I have choreographed for the fall concert (the student choreographed show) was brought to the spring concert (the faculty choreographed concert).”

What is the most interesting class you’ve taken at Gustavus and why?
HS: “Scientific and Somatic Foundations for Movement – this class explores human anatomy as it relates to dance. I love learning about anatomy (another class I really enjoyed) and learning from a perspective of movement was especially interesting.”