Senior Spotlight: Amelia Thompson Posted on May 11th, 2020 by

The “Senior Spotlight” series honors graduating fine arts majors for their contributions to the Gustavus community. 

Amelia Thompson is a studio art major from Rochester, Minn. Next fall she is hoping to find a job in landscape design that will allow her to be outdoors. Associate Professor in Art and Art History Kris Lowe says Amelia’s works are unique in the way she intertwines both playful and serious themes in unexpected ways. “Amelia has the kind of curious mind that an artist must possess,” Lowe says. “She is thoughtful about her process and happily confronts the complexities of art production.” 

We asked Amelia to give us a little insight into her time at Gustavus and how she’s continuing her art while living off-campus.

What will you miss most about art at Gustavus?
AT: I’m going to miss my friends and professors quite a bit. There is nothing like meeting up with the other seniors in the studio to chow on some midnight pizza and Fam Fresh snacks, listen to TV reruns mixed with the pop music across the room, and get those most helpful “day before the project’s due” critiques!

Can you tell us about a favorite memory you have from studying art at Gustavus?
AT: Getting an art tour around St. Louis [with Virginia A. Groot Sculptor-in-Residence Jacob Stanley] was definitely a highlight this year. The Citygarden was everything I want to be able to design in the future, with musical stepping tiles, cute and thought-provoking sculptures, and meandering garden paths.

How are you continuing your art education in your new surroundings?
AT: I’m currently at home with a decade’s worth of hoarded art supplies, and having a less scheduled day has actually helped me finish some of my proudest works.

Can you tell us a story about what it’s been like to continue to produce art at home?
AT: Well, one day I put a drop cloth over a Costco toilet paper multipack and called it a table to paint on.

What professor has made the biggest impact on you and why?
AT: Like a lot of emerging artists, I used to feel under pressure to pick one art medium and stick with it. Then I took the “Day Course” with Kris Lowe, and she helped me to see how artists have pushed the boundaries of what art is, how non-traditional materials are valid, how to frame a work to help the audience see it from your perspective, and how to make a life as an artist. I’ve never before had a professor who was so tuned in to the class’s needs; if you need a pep talk or a drawing tutorial go to Kris.

View Amelia’s works in Despite Distance…Senior Studio Art Majors Exhibition 2020.