Senior Spotlight: Jana Blomberg Posted on May 12th, 2020 by

The “Senior Spotlight” series honors graduating fine arts majors for their contributions to the Gustavus community.

Jana Blomberg is a studio art major and mathematics minor from Plymouth, Minn. Next fall she is hoping to find a job and continue to create art. Associate Professor in Art and Art History Betsy Byers, says she has enjoyed watching Jana find her artistic voice. “Jana is an artist who has grown exponentially since her first year,” Byers says. “I have had the joy of watching her change from a timid first year student carving linoleum in my printmaking class to a senior art major walking charismatically through the halls of the Uffizi in Florence.”

We asked Jana to give us a little insight into her time at Gustavus and how she’s continuing her art while living off-campus.

What will you miss most about art at Gustavus?
JB: I will miss how much it felt like home and a family. I formed great relationships with friends and professors. I loved spending every day in the art building creating art, and also being able to see what others created. I will miss being surrounded by other artists who help each other to create better art.

Can you tell us about a favorite memory you have from studying art at Gustavus?
JB: A favorite memory I have about studying art at Gustavus was the opportunity to take a January interim class focusing on art in Italy. It was amazing to learn all about art and architecture while seeing it in person. We spent about four weeks traveling to different cities throughout Italy and visiting museums. We saw many famous art pieces such as Michelangelo’s David, the Colosseum, and more! It was amazing to experience it all. I also developed relationships with many people and grew closer with others, including my professor who was leading the trip. I created memories that I will cherish forever and I am so grateful that I had the chance to go on the trip!

How are you continuing your art education in your new surroundings?
JB: I am continuing my art education by creating a studio space in my home. Art is hard to do at home because I no longer have the same resources I had in the art building. I have converted my dining room into my art studio so I have a designated spot to create. I have had to find other ways to get creative with my limited space and new things to give me inspiration.

Can you tell us a story about what it’s been like to continue to produce art at home?
JB: At home, it has been a challenge to do art sometimes, especially with the added distractions of my family, but there have also been some positives. A lot of my art has to do with everyday objects that I photograph, and now that I am home I have more access to objects than I would at school. I am able to get more creative with some of my works of art and don’t have as many people giving me weird looks when I put chairs into a tree to photograph them.

What professor has made the biggest impact on you and why?
JB: The professor who has made the biggest impact on me is Betsy Byers. I had her as my first art professor freshman year and she has been my advisor since. She has always been able to offer me good advice on things like what classes to take or what things to look into for careers or how to improve my art. I didn’t have a second class with her until senior year for January interim, but the class was amazing because we got to go to Italy. I am finishing off my senior year taking her painting class and it has been wonderful to have her as an advisor and mentor all four years at Gustavus. She is such an inspiration because of how committed she is to her own art and how much she cares about each of her students and their success.

View Jana’s works in Despite Distance…Senior Studio Art Majors Exhibition 2020.