Senior Spotlight: Sanjeeda Tazrin Shutrishn Posted on June 27th, 2022 by

Sanjeeda Tazrin Shutrishna is a Mathematics, Studio Art double major with minors in Computer Science, Art History, and Arts Administration from Madaripur, Bangladesh. After graduation, she hopes to attend graduate school. Professor Byers describes Sanjeeda and her work as such, “Sanjeeda’s art explores color, pattern, culture and visual representation. Her work offers an elegant surprise to the senses. As a student, she has worked hard to grow her artistic skills and her unique vision has enlivened our department. I will miss our conversations in the studio and through zoom. Our Independent Study during COVID was a highlight for me. Meeting Sanjeeda and talking art during lockdown was a lifeline”

We asked Sanjeeda to tell us more about her time at Gustavus and her plans for the future.

What will you miss most about art at Gustavus?
STS: “The collaboration and feedback from peers.”

What’s a favorite memory you have from studying art at Gustavus?
STS: “I have a very fond memory of someone from physical plant going an extra mile to help me set up an installation piece at the Arb.”

How have you grown in your time Gustavus?
STS: “When it comes to art, I feel better equipped to execute my experimentations with materials, techniques, and learning.”

What do you look forward to most about life after Gustavus?
STS: “Being more independent.”

What’s one piece of advice you’d give high school students considering Gustavus?
STS: “To be more engaged with the community.”

What has been your proudest moment in your time at Gustavus?
STS: “The relationships that I have fostered with Gusties and the subtle impact I see in unexpected places!”

What is the most interesting class you’ve taken at Gustavus and why?
STS: “It has to be my First Term Seminar class “Unleash the Creative”. Coming into college, I was new to the American college culture, and this class opened up my mindset in terms of how I can shape my Gustavus experience.”